League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

3 headed QB Monster

By raidergreg69
5/29/2017 3:14 am
Last game was worst case scenario for my offense. On paper I had no business losing that game, even without Bob Cobb at RB. My defense even had a bad game but they were put in some difficult situations due to Pitt's inability to hold onto the ball.

When I traded for him my biggest concern was his inability to avoid fumbles, even though that issue didn't seem to happen much during his Buffalo days. Throw in the fact he is slow and my OL has pass protection issues gives results like a butt whipping from a team that was 0-9.

Hats off to Minnesota for getting their first win btw and jeopardizing my potential playoff spot. Now I am really searching for answers at QB since I won't be able to fix my OL until the offseason.

Pitts has better accuracy than Tim Whatley but he's slower and more of a fumbler so he gets plays in the 2-1-2 formation. Despite what I just said Pitts has done well in 5 WR sets since the trade so he gets those plays too.

Going back to Tim Whatley for 3 formations. He led the league in passing yds last year and has my only multi TD pass games this year. He has shown flashes of good play in between the crappy ones and I'm hoping the time off has cleared his head enough to stop throwing stupid INT's.

Timothy Cate hasn't done anything except hold a clipboard and FG/XP tries 1 game. He is a FA at season's end and I need to see what, if anything, he can do. He gets the other 2 formations I've been running.

The play allocation is split 16/16/8 in the playbook for the game coming up, we'll see how it all shakes out. I'm going in with low expectations, as I'm making it hard for any QB to get a rhythm. What a mess.

Re: 3 headed QB Monster

By raidergreg69
5/29/2017 4:56 am
Well why would today's game be any different? I did win convincingly but if you look at the stats, especially 6 turnovers by me, my QB's didn't play well. All 3 had good plays and bad. Tim Whatley did have a nice rushing game but that was an override error on my part. I was in a hurry and assumed it was a shotgun formation but I actually had him at RB by mistake. Despite the stats I'm not turning him into a RB. His blocking ratings are bad and he allowed a sack of Pitts which led to another fumble by him.

Speaking of Pitts and his fumbling issues, I did do research before the trade. In 16 regular season games with Buffalo, 15 starts, he fumbled 5 times. Add in preseason and he fumbled 9 times in 22 games as a Bill. Not very good but I could live with that ratio if he improved my accuracy.

Well 7 fumbles in just 5 games with me is way too much. I think he will be fine if I could protect him better but I just can't right now.

Cate looked better as the game went along but it's still hard to get a read on him just yet. He will continue to see the field some.

Tim Whatley did what Tim Whatley has done this year, play mostly bad to mediocre. None of the 3 have been totally good enough to be the guy, 4 if you count the brief chance I gave Randall Winston, so all 3 will continue to play.

I will likely switch up which QB starts in some of the formations as I can't count on 200 rushing yards every week. Might even have to give Wheeler a chance at some point, he can't suck any worse.

By raidergreg69
6/05/2017 3:14 am
I've seen enough of 3 qb in 1 game for now. Pitts has to sit until I can fix my OL because all it takes is for the defense to breathe on him and he fumbles. Whatley may be better with an improved OL as well. He's already not that accurate, having him throw on the run doesn't help. At least he can avoid the rush better, and his turnovers mostly occur downfield.

Cate has looked decent since the trade. I'd like to win the division again, but having at least a wildcard sewn up means I can give Cate a 3 game audition before he becomes a free agent.

By Gustoon
6/05/2017 9:46 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
I've seen enough of 3 qb in 1 game for now. Pitts has to sit until I can fix my OL because all it takes is for the defense to breathe on him and he fumbles. Whatley may be better with an improved OL as well. He's already not that accurate, having him throw on the run doesn't help. At least he can avoid the rush better, and his turnovers mostly occur downfield.

Cate has looked decent since the trade. I'd like to win the division again, but having at least a wildcard sewn up means I can give Cate a 3 game audition before he becomes a free agent.

I like Cates game smarts, when he played for us he had quite a few games that he nailed. The ratings system is completely out of whack, I see moderate rated players having problems bowl careers and highly touted players having the opposite. I don't know if it's the algorithm or players not fitting a system.
Stick with Cates imo, he'll only get better

By raidergreg69
6/05/2017 3:11 pm
So far Cate has looked the best of the 3 I have left. I wish I could combine Whatley's ability to move in the pocket and not fumble with the rest of Pitt's attributes but they both had their chances.

Saw nothing in this morning's game that would make me go away from Cate. Stats weren't great but he was missing my #1 TE and top 2 RB and most importantly he didn't put my defense in bad spots. He gives me the best chance to win.

By Pernbronze
6/05/2017 11:35 pm
Can't remember who said it but... If you have more than 1 QB you have no QBs :p

By raidergreg69
6/06/2017 3:36 am
Pernbronze wrote:
Can't remember who said it but... If you have more than 1 QB you have no QBs :p

For most of this season I haven't had 1 I've been happy with. Acquiring 2 qb's midseason trying to find the guy isn't usually a winning recipe but my defense and running game have gone over and above expectations to get me in the playoffs.

Congrats for getting your first win of the season against me btw. At that point of the season I thought I was looking at 8-8 best case scenario.

By raidergreg69
6/13/2017 6:30 am
We can put this subject to bed now, Cate just signed a 6 year deal. I am surprised he took the offer honestly as it was way less than his asking price. I almost rescinded the offer because I didn't want to offend him right before the biggest game of our season to date. He did still get a nice bump in pay and double the length of contract, plus I loaded up the bonus portion.

Looking back at the trades I made, the one for Pitts has backfired so far as I gave up a ton to get him, especially compared to what I gave up to get my new starter Cate. Pitts has the better ratings mostly, but his 2 worst ones are the ones that kept biting me, lack of speed and butterfingers. Even when he didn't fumble, he was sacked a high number of times because he's slower than many of the guys chasing him.

Pitts is locked up for some years as well and I'm not giving up on him. If I can shore up my OL he may be able to beat out Cate but this year's stats speak for themselves.

By AlexanDragon
6/13/2017 6:35 am
I was gonna ask for pitts availlability but you answered my question haha. Btw i love reading your updates from your team! Keep it up it add a nice little touch to the league!

By raidergreg69
6/13/2017 6:54 am
AlexanDragon wrote:
I was gonna ask for pitts availlability but you answered my question haha. Btw i love reading your updates from your team! Keep it up it add a nice little touch to the league!

I could still possibly trade Pitts depending on what you're offering, we can talk about it after the playoffs. Pitts performed way better when he was with Buffalo so maybe he's just not a fit in the West Coast Offense I run and/or needs a less leaky OL in front of him. Change of scenery may do him good.